Race Report: Cleveland Heroes Run 5 Mile

This race was advertised as Cleveland's hilliest 5 miler, and for good reason, the half mile climb from 3.5 to 4.0 alone was an absolute killer. Top that off with some rollercoaster hills between 1.5 and 2.0 and a steep downhill just before the mile mark and it was like a cross country race on pavement. I ended up running 30:27 for 13th overall, and 4th in 40-44. Really happy with my race. My time was only about 10 seconds slower than my masters PR if you convert the 30:07 8K I ran in August to a full 5 miles. That course was pancake flat so I feel like this effort was much better! My splits were:

Mile 1 - 6:12 - first mile was flat for about 3/4, followed by a steep 1/4 mile downhill. Held WAY back at this stage as kids and bodybuilder types gunned passed me. It's amazing how so many people sprint like crazy at the start of races and are virtually walking after 5 or 10 minutes! Gotta pace yourself folks!

Mile 2 - 12:15 (6:03) - this mile had a series of rolling hills. I kept a nice groove going and passed people going uphill and let them sprint past me downhill.

Mile 3 - 18:15 (6:00) - flat. Kept it smooth holding back for the monster hill that I knew was coming up at 3.5

Mile 4 - 24:45 (6:30) - No that's not a typo! The half mile climb here was unreal. Caught 5 people on this hill. Felt like I was running in sand towards the end of the hill. What a relief it was to make it to the top.

Mile 5 - 30:27 (5:42) -- Had a lot left in the last mile from being conservative in the early stages and was able to push really hard. Was gaining on a couple of people ahead of me, but I ran out of time.

All and all this was probably my best and smartest paced race of the year. Especially pleased with the fast final mile and the fact that I trained through this week to some extent, hitting 52 miles, which gives me 7 weeks in a row averaging over 50 after running more like 35 a week earlier this year.

Post a Comment

  © Designed by Mousetrap Marketing from Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP