Chameleons CD reissues



To paraphrase the name of the third Buzzcocks album, Manchester, England's Chameleons were a "different kind of tension." Their roots were definitely in the post-punk tradition -- one listen to their debut single "In Shreds" and the early demos compiled on The Fan and the Bellows collection is all the proof you need -- but that's only one aspect of the band's mesmerizing sound. Like Echo and The Bunnymen and the early U2, The Chameleons were proponents of epic, guitar-effect heavy rock 'n' roll. Their 1983 debut Script of The Bridge and 1985's What Does Anything Mean? Basically have both been given the deluxe dual-disc reissue treatment by Blue Apple Music. The remastering on these releases sounds amazing. I know some of you out there swear by vinyl, but the sound on these CDs is much better than the original wax put out by Statik (yeah, I still have them). Script is the slightly better of the first two Chameleons albums, mainly because the sound is just a tad grittier and there a few more songs! Tracks like "Don't Fall," "Monkeyland" and "A Person Isn't Safe Anywhere These Days" floor you like a prime time Mike Tyson punch. The Bonus disc contains a scorching 1983 concert. What Does Anything Mean? is equally essential, containing two of my all-time favorite Chameleons tunes, "Intrique in Tangiers" and "Return of the Roughnecks" (see video above), plus tacking on the debut single "In Shreds"/"Nostalgia". The bonus disc is well worth it too, a collection of demos from this album that are at times even more potent than the album versions.

David Leech  – (5:42 PM)  

Hey Ben, I found your site when I was looking for a review of Black Nite Crash (who I'm seeing tomorrow supporting The Editors).

Glad to find it, we share a lot in common... I'm a endurance runner - although not at your pace - 18:00 5K PR, 3:06 Marathon PR..... huge music fan.... and then discover your note about The Chameleons... I went to Uni in Manchester and learned about The Chameleons and The Buzzcocks the (even though I got there in 1989, a few years after they were done). I became a big fan, and saw them on their revival tour a few years ago.

Great to find your blog.

Ben Vendetta  – (6:49 PM)  

Thanks David! Glad you found the blog. I'm a big fan of Black Nite Crash. I know a few runners who are big Chameleons fans. Something about running and post-punk going together I guess. I got into them in '87, just after they broke up but did see them on their reunion tour when I was in LA and I've seen Mark with the Sons of God doing a set of Chameleons songs.

Post a Comment

  © Designed by Mousetrap Marketing from Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP